Tuesday 21 May 2013

Mr. World Malta Robert Galea.


 Once the Malta Fashion Week had got over, we hastened to catch up with Robert Galea for a chat and a cup of coffee in a very friendly atmosphere.
With 26 years of age, this man has conquered the main catwalks of Malta, his face appears on billboards and magazines of the country. But apart from that, the titles, Robert keeps being granted with (twice Best Male Model 2012-2013, Mr. World Malta 2012), prove his real male ideal reference.
This young man (who, in our humble opinion, could be a sort of David by Miguel Angel in the Renessaince period) obsessed with football and healthy-sport-related lifestyle overall. Being direct, accessible, gentle, Robert has got a clear idea of what the fashion world is about and his role in it.

M: Robert, how did you find yourself in the modeling industry? Is it just a hobby?

R: It started off from a group of photographers asking me to model for a shoot with bikes which they wanted to have in abandoned building. I will treasure a photo from that day forever as one of the bike owner was a very good friend of mine who passed later after an accident on the same bike.
L: As far as we know, your full-time job has nothing to do with fashion. What are you doing?

R: I work in the iGaming industry in Malta. I am responsible for all the affiliated online media for one of the most successful group of companies in the business.


M: Does your job complement or influence your modeling career somehow?

R: I completely separate my professional career from my modeling career, and from my personal life. It is very difficult to manage the time I have to dedicate to each and this leave very little time for myself, however I dedicate the necessary time to each area in order to be able to give my best in everything.

L: Do you remember your first catwalk? Who did you represent and which emotions you passed through?

R: Yes, it was a very well organized event brought up by the InFashion agency. I knew I was new to the scene so I didn’t feel much pressure as I could only learn from others. The excitement was sky high and it still is nowadays, if not even more with more pressure, because expectations are higher.

M: How would you describe your daily style? Do you have any preferences in brands?

R: My style differs according to where I am and what I’m representing. For work I stick to fitted trousers, white shirts, wool v-neck sweaters, pointed lace-up smart shoes or loafers. Going out, I mostly stick to smart casual style in which I combine a lot of bright colors combinations, however I feel mostly comfortable, in a raw style t-shirt, aviator jacket and a thorn denim jeans tucked in high-top boots.

L: A tie or a bow-tie?

R: Tie.
M: Whats is an absolute must-have in upcoming summer season for you?

R: Sunglasses of course!! Haha Apart from those, I look forward to wear my yellow suede loafers and a fancy flowerly shirt.. unusual and a bit risky but I always experiment with outfits.

L: You took part in Malta Fashion weeks 2012 and 2013. Something has changed? Is the fashion industry evolving in malta?

R: Well, year after year the fashion week keeps getting bigger and better. It is awesome to see what a great response it has from the locals and the great interest it attracts around it. In Malta a good percentage of the population is becoming very fashion cautious which helps in generating the necessary importance for the fashion industry to evolve and excel.
M: Do you remember any funny or curious incident related to one of the Fashion weeks or
competitions you have participated in?

R: In the Malta Fashion Awards of 2012, I had to walk for a fashion designer in very tight clothes, which were hard to wear and even more to take off. When we were backstage all ready to go out for the show, the presenter announced that the Best Male Model awards was going to be awarded, at that point I had lost all hope of winning as I was already dressed up to go out for the show after the award. One of the organizers came to me and she told me “Would you change into full suit in around 10 seconds?” At that point I realized I won the award which was being announced, so I went on the floor, two other models helped me take off my tight clothes and I put on the suit in probably less than 10 seconds and went to get the Best Male Model award as smart as possible and on time. A fantastic
moment, until I realized I had to quickly change back in the designer clothes to back on stage!! Hilarious!! All the organizers still mention it to me today.

L: Has your life changed since you got titled as the Best Male Model 2012 and Mr. World Malta 2012?


R: Yes, life changes in the aspects you have no control on. I got a lot of exposure so people recognize me everywhere and although I appreciate it a lot, sometimes it limits me from doing what I really feel like doing in certain circumstances as I always have to keep in mind that I am a country representative. However my close friends and those whom I share most time with at work, in sports or with family see very little or no changes.
M: Any plans for the future modeling career? Will you keep doing it? Are you aiming to win anything again?

R: I never make plans, I just take the best chances which come in life, then you build the best future. Same with modeling, I’ll make the best from every opportunity it gives me and will keep on doing it until I’m asked to do it. However my professional career and private life will always take priority over modeling. Winning anything? No because I will not compete to win something. However I will always greatly appreciate any further awards which I might be presented!

L: At Malta Fashion week 2013 you got the title of the Best Male model again. Have you expected it? What do you think about another contestants?
R: I didn’t expect it in 2012 because it was the first year I was nominated and I didn’t expected in 2013 because I didn’t think that the same person would win the award twice in a row. All other contestants are very good friends of mine and they all did an amazing work in the past years. I will always thank one of the other contestants and winner of Best Photo Model, Karl Bonnici, as he is one of the people who helped me most in my modeling career.

M: I’ ve heard that you are a good friend and a sport-lover. What do you believe in life? Any moto or maybe words you would love to share with people and our readers in particular?

R: My friends can say what type of friend I am, and they can also say how much sports I play because I never answer their calls as I would be doing some sports haha! I am naturally an overweight (fat) person and now I train and keep a very disciplined lifestyle to keep a good physical image. I never was really into modeling however I want to pass the message that if people want to reach very difficult but possible goals, only through determination, hard work, sacrifice and a lot of discipline they can achieve it, and this is why I model. Having said this, I firmly stand by the motto that in life nobody
is better than anybody else and that we can always learn from each other.

L: Who wears the dress better?

R: Vicky! Definitely her style.
 
P. S: Hurry up, girls! This handsome man is still single ;-) And...stay tuned, more curious interviews to come!


Yours,
Mira and Lana.

No comments:

Post a Comment